Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Shure 556S Mics

On 5/1/2011 3:23 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
I have a couple of 556S mics in which the windscreens and internal rubber mounts
are fully deteriorated. Does anyone repair these things other than Shure? While
I would never use them for anything, they do have some emotional value because
they were my father's.

If Shure actually has parts in stock, they are probably cheaper than anyone
else around.

If they don't have parts in stock, replacement shock mounts will probably
mean molding new ones out of RTV and that's really something of a pain to
do.

The windscreen material should be easy to match, it's just silk.

As I recall, Shure still made these things into the early eighties, making
them really the last of the 55 series until they did the reissue. So they
might be new enough to have parts, and they might turn out to sound a lot
better than the regular 55 mikes also.
--scott

I'll contact them. The windscreen in one of them is foam. It's totally
gone. The last time I asked Shure about a repair, the response was not
good. As I recall, they quoted a flat rate repair for a very simple
problem.

The staked-in thread of one of the screws holding the back plate cover
of one of my SM7s is missing. It would be nice to get it put back, but
it's not worth spending a bunch of money.