S888Wheel

Default Why DBTs in audio do not deliver

Audioguy said

Please stay on subject, we haven't been discussing video or visual
aspects, only audio. And I haven't been the one wanting to limit the
discussion to just music, that's Elmir again. I think any sound is
fair game for evaluating the performance of audio equipment and in
fact can often illuminate the differences between them much better
than music, one of the points that seems to
vex Elmir in his highly
repeated posting of the now famous "1.76 dB test".

I said

This question was asked. "What I am trying to get you to acknowledge is

whether
sound is the only possible mechanism for the delivery of music. Is it or

isn't
it?" I answered it. If my answer was off topic than the question was off

topic.
Watching performers perform is a powerful mechanism for the delivery of

music

IMO. Whether it is live or playback. Seeing someone play music gives us

insight
into the music that can not be readily accessed via sound only.

Audioguy said

OK, but how does that apply to the actual subject of the discussion:
audio reproduction devices? And do you feel that only music is the
only valid audio source for the evaluation of audio reproduction
devices?

It doesn't. Remeber I said the answer I gave was irrelevant to the issue of the
sound of components?

Audioguy said

And please explain if you prefer to listen in the dark how a blind
test would affect one in a different manner.

I said

I doubt my ability to discern differences in an ABX DBT would be adversly
affected by literal darkness. I don't know since I haven't done it but I

see no
reason to think it would.

Audioguy said

Thank you. Then you don't have any objection to the use of DBTs in
the testing of audio reproduction devices it seems.

Not at all.