Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] bhamham@gmail.com is offline

Default Restoring a Sherwood S-5000

Hi everyone,

My first post here. I've only briefly skimmed this thread but it sure looks to be a great resource for restoring the Sherwood S-5000. I've got one on the bench - the older version with the separate tube shields on the 12AX7s. I'm not getting any sound at all.

I've checked all the voltages on the schematic and found that V3 for both grids is way off. Should be -1V on one side and -1.5V on the other. I've got around 18v for each. I've checked all the resistors attached to V3 and they're OK. I haven't checked any caps, thought I'd seek advice before I start lifting leads.

My supply voltages all appear to be OK. There's 415v on the 7189 plates (using those Soviet EL84s), Bias is -16 but it still has the selenium rectifier and old caps. Someone changed out the 3-way power can but that's all that's been done. I've checked all the tubes and swapped out V3 with a known good one.

I'm still learning to troubleshoot tube gear and hoping to learn a good deal with this Sherwood. Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards,
Bruce