Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Mind Stretchers

On Mon, 28 May 2012 11:13:04 -0700, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article ):

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Strictly speaking Stereo over speakers doesn't work because it can't work.
It's just like a car with 110% thermodynamic efficiency.

It is an acceptable illusion or at least an illusion that many find
acceptable.

Hi Arn -

For the record (so to speak) - when I use the term "stereo" I am using it as
shorthand for any and all loudspeaker based auditory perspective systems.
This would include 3 channel, DD 5.1 surround sound, or any number of
speakers placed around a room to try and reconstruct a sound field that
mimics the original. I realize that to some, "stereo" means strictly two
channel, but that is not what I mean. But if I use "surround" or
"multichannel" in all discussions, people will think I am limiting the
discussion to more than two channels, which I am not. Stereo can work with
two or more speakers and the general principles apply to all of these.

I hope that most of you are listening in surround sound to all recordings,
even two channel. If so, you are at least partially agreeing with me on the
reconstruction principle. If not, I've got my work cut out for me....

Gary Eickmeier

Frankly, I find that the recording industry has a hard enough time doing two
channel stereo correctly, much less four channels, or five or seven.... Now
for movies where the extra channels have explosions and other sound effects
pan-potted to them, it's fine, but I have yet to hear a music surround
recording where I thought that the surround was any more than a gimmick.