Posted to rec.audio.car
mike mike is offline

Default How do caps work?

GregS wrote:
In article yNEih.3950$Iy5.3581@trnddc01, wrote:

The caps provides better peak power, and also helps control lamp flicker.
That about it. How about the FAQ. There should be a good
explanation in there.

greg

Well, DUH! Thanks for reminding me to read the FAQ.
But it didn't help much.
It did raise another question.
I never see any mention of folded horn loaded speakers for car use.
You can get big volume with low power. My Klipsch are 105dB/W,
but they won't fit in the pickup.
If you're in the business
of selling amps and caps and other power stuff, horns would be
counterproductive. Sounds like a natural application for the
small slot between the seat and rear of the cab.
Are there technical reasons for not using horns?

I'm having visions of removing the window and using the whole
pickup bed for the horn.
mike

its just too big to fit in the cab. You would be inside the horn, and being
inside I really don't know the results. If you can't do low bass, then there
isn't much point.

Maybe you have to open the windows ;-)
I haven't looked at the math since 1967, but as I recall, if you take
whatever driver size you have and run an exponential out as far as you
have room, don't you still get coupling improvement over the bare
driver? At cutof, the driver will unload, so you still have to have
some volume behind it and some active compensation. Would that be any
worse than having the same driver without the horn? I just don't have
room for anything thicker than about 5" behind the seat.

Horns rapidly cut off below 40 Hz, and even that
usually requires the right driver, a 16 foot length, and a mouth about
12 foot square. Horns automatically add 10 dB to a drivers sensitivity,
playing twice as loud to the ear, and requiring on 1/10 the power
to play at the same volume. I think the old AR3 speaker played at 100 watts
what the Klipshorn would do with 1 watt.

I picked up a pair of Magneplanar ribbon speakers at a garage sale.
Was a $20 pair of "room dividers".
I really liked the way they sounded, but I had to put them far away from
the wall or they sounded like crap. So they actually took up more
living space than my K-horns. And I didn't like the smell that came off
my poor little 100W amplifier at even moderate volume. Went back to the
horns.
mike

greg