Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

Default How do caps work?

what I can make educated guesses about:

1) resistance in wiring depends greatly on size (when delivering a
load) as well as the metal used to make the wire. Though typically
there isn't a lot. I'd say over an average 15 foot run of 4 guage
you'll lose .1-.2 volts. Connections........probably in the millivolt
range. batteries I don't know.

2) Generally interior speakers are 4 ohms, subs range from 1-4 ohms.
Most large subs these days are Dual 1, 2, or 4 ohms.

3) You will hear nothing. by the time you hear the bass note, the cap
will be drained and will be trying to recharge again.

4) This one I don't know. I would imagine/guess the result would show
a slightly higher voltage on both input and output immediately after the
signal is sent (relative to the non-cap system), but then after that it
would be the same. Would just take .01 seconds longer to get to the
sagged voltage.

5) It just has to do with lower voltage. Just because the regulator
sensor is there doesn't mean it's going to make the alternator put out
more power. If the RPMs aren't high enough the alternator won't put
out the power the regulator wants, no matter how hard it begs.

6) I do. And I've never seen nor heard of anybody getting laid
because of their stereo.

those are my ideas. feel free to correct/expand.

--
KU40