Garrett Cox

Default Mac problem - flashing question mark? will not boot up

You really need a copy of Disk Warrior. It's 75 dollars or something
like that. HFS+ has some issues. I'm not sure it's really inherant to
the filesystem but Apples do this. Basically the drive is fragmented.
Bits of data are just scattered all about the hard drive in no order.
Which is normal except that it gets to a certain point and it can't
find things. (this is in basic terms. there's quite a bit more to it
but you probably don't care) Disk Warrior will repair the filesystem
corruption and should give you back if nothing else a mountable drive.
You may wish to back up the data and format. Always a good thing to
do.

Oh. Well if the drive is clicking and sounds like someone dropping a
ping pong ball... Well thats not good. Or if you were unfortunate
enough to get one of the bad IBM deskstar drive (aka deathstar).

there's always www.drivesavers.com they rock too.

garrett

"WideGlide" wrote in message . net...
Quick question..... just tried to turn my Mac on, and instead of getting the
little smiling face while it's booting up, I get a picture of a floppy disc
with a flashing question mark over it.... and it remains this way. Turned
it off and tried to restart it about 5 times, same thing every time. Can
anyone give me any insight as to what is going on here? Computer has been
running fine for months, and I have not altered anything at all in a very
long time. There is really no reason for anything to not be working
correctly, unless there was some sudden failure. Please don't tell me that
my hard drive just died. Any help appreciated. wg