Posted to rec.audio.pro
andrejs eigus andrejs eigus is offline

Default best practices

hello Anthony,

there's a free powerful program called EAC - Exact Audio Copy, available at
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ . it is a very powerful program that can
extract tracks from audio CD error-free into WAV and then can be configured
to use free high-quality LAME encoder at http://lame.sourceforge.net/ to
encode WAV into MP3 on the fly. it also supports freedb, so you can get
titles and MP3 ID tags filled in automatically.

will it work under Vista? don't know. works fine under XP.

-a

have you tried it with
"Anthony Watters" wrote in message
. ..
can anyone offer up some best practices as to ripping CDs/ converting to
wav files that works in vista ultimate 64?
if one were to take a wav file created by media player (in vista) vs a 3rd
party product and have a side by side comparison and use sound quality,
ease of use, how long it takes to rip CD, whether the app can place and
manage music collection (create folders, categorize by group, name of
album. song title etc...)

I have lots of troubles with Media Player (in Vista) where the app keeps
closing down/crashing when I am ripping CDs.
Microsoft had me change/add codecs (adding the K-Lite Mega Codec)

If its about the codec, then which one is audiophile grade absolutely the
best hands down?

If all I am doing is converting (grabbing) cda files and turning them into
uncompressed wavs, do I really need to wory about a codec?
(compress/decompress) Since technically I am not opting to play my music
with any compression.