Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Default What Can We Hear?

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Andrew Haley wrote:

The questions I have to ask a what kind of evidence would it take
to convince you that you were wrong? How would you design an
experiment that has the best chance to refute your own theories as
convincingly as possible?

That one is simple Andrew. Just construct a test that shows that the Big
Three are not audible.

Excuse me! No-one is claiming that radiation pattern, speaker
positioning, and room acoustics are not audible. That is something
about which there is no disagreement.

You might have a variety of speakers from dipoles to omnis to direct
firing, you might place them up against the wall, out into the room,
or in the corners. You might have a room that is highly reflective
at the speaker end, or highly absorptive. If you can show that none
of these factors is audible, then I would have to go back into my
cave and admit defeat.

So, nothing short of proving that radiation pattern, speaker
positioning, and room acoustics are not audible will make you doubt
your theories. But we already know that thse things are audible, so
there is no experiment that could be done by anyone that would make a
diference to you.

Andrew.