Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

Default The venerable Quad Esl (57)

On 1/19/2011 1:02 PM, wrote:
On Jan 19, 2:31=A0pm, Dick wrote:
On 1/19/2011 12:17 PM, wrote:

Just went on youtube, searched Quad esl, clicked on "QUAD ESL 57 DEMO -
Archie Shepp Quartet- Everything =A0must change"

I suggest that all you lurkers, posters and whomever go there and take
a listen. Even with dinky computer speakers the unmistakeable purity,
clarity and realism of this 53 year old design sees off so many modern
high-end systems that I am left wondering, have we taken a wrong turn
somewhere along the way to better sound?

If those "dinky computer speakers" can reveal the
"unmistakeable purity, clarity and realism of this
53 year old design," why even bother with Quads,
save a bundle and just buy them dinky little computer
speakers. Save a bundle of money!

May I take it then that you did not bother to go and listen?
If you did, what is your impression?

No need to, for a couple of reasons. One, I've heard them in person
many times, and for some types of music, they were very good, others
just OK. But second, you can't listen to Quads on U-tube, you can only
listen to a poor recording of Quads through another system adding
colorations that were not in the original venue. So what's the point?

Really, that's like going to U-tube to watch a video demonstrating how
wonderful HDTV is, or 3-d for that matter.

Keith