Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Neil Youn's Pono music

Jay Ts wrote:

I was watching videos with Rupert Neve recently, and in one he told a
story about a recording engineer who complained about a fault in just one
channel of the studio's Neve console. Mr. Neve went in to investigate, at
first found nothing, but then studied more and found a fault at about 50
KHz in that channel. After fixing the circuit, the engineer was
satisfied. This is more anecdotal "evidence" that proves nothing, but I
think it's significant, and I wish I knew more of what happened. I think
things like this should be followed up on more to discern more about
what's happening. For that to happen, people must get beyond the dogma
that people can't hear anything above 20 KHz.

Jay,

Mr. Neve is rightly revered for his work. His is also a human, and
hence, fallible. This story has been debunked many times. The
oscillation in that circuit was at 50KHz, but the consequences thereof
include folding distortion back down into the known humanly perceivable
audio band.

Mr. Neve's response to the incident was to improve his circuit designs,
and extend the frequency response to 120 KHz (I'm looking at his current
designs to get that number, since I don't remember what he said in the
video).

Meanwhile, Dan Kennedy's original Great River MP2 is and was from the
gitgo flat and clean to 100KHz. Again, if something is going to pass
signal up there it had better pass it cleanly or there will probably be
audible consequences.

I don't think we know all we will eventually know about our hearing, and
I agree wtih you that it is important not to dismiss out of hand that
which seems to counter theory developed from what we understand up to
this point in time. I think it is very important to look deeply into
claims that appear to offer evidence of super-aural hearing, because in
those I have seen examined there is a very logical explanation that does
not involve anything extraordinary.

I saw in one of the Pono videos where Neil Young was saying how our other
technology has advanced, but digital audio is stuck, and if anything
(because of mp3s) has gotten worse in the same time period.

Is it peculiar enough that he claims the technology hasn't advanced by
assuming the technology's state of being is friggin' MP3's? If that's
the state of the tech, what's going to run Pono? Give me a logical break
here, please.

The problem he seeks to address is not with the technology available for
audio recording. It is with the distribution technology at its core,
because right now the burden of streaming you my album in 24/96 (and
yes, I think it sounds better than at 16/44/1) is considerable. From
where I am typing right now it would be out of the question. In
Chattanooga TN we could do it easily.

I don't agree with everything Neil has to say, but I do agree that it's
time to move things forward.

Please don't mistake by Devil's Advocacy for a lack of care. When we
mastered Carry Me Home, we spent money on Jerry Tubb's services to come
away with an array of masters for various formats. (Perspective: the
bill for all audio delivered for replication was just under $3500.00. Of
that, I spent nearly $1100.00 on mastering. I put our money where my
mouth is. g)

I didn't just run home with the 16/44 master, load it into iTunes or
Logic and turn it into MP3. Interested parties may audition one of the
songs in all those formats. Give some consideration to the file sizes.
The CD and VD-A clips are but half the song, for obvious reasons.
320Kbps full song = 6MB; _half_ the song @ 24/96 = almost 40Mb.)

The Great Balitmore Fire in the size/resolution of your choice:

Complete, 128Kbps.mp3 (2.4Mb) common
http://armadillomusicproductions.com...reFire128k.mp3
http://tinyurl.com/k83mnxu

Complete, 192Kbps.mp3 (3.6Mb) standard
http://armadillomusicproductions.com...reFire192k.mp3
http://tinyurl.com/k2bc35l

Complete, 320Kbps.mp3 (6.0Mb) better
http://armadillomusicproductions.com...reFire320k.mp3
http://tinyurl.com/kgqra7x

1:20 Clip, 16-bit/44.1kHz.wav (12.0Mb) CD
http://armadillomusicproductions.com...FireClip16bit4
4kHz.wav
http://tinyurl.com/kofn8qm

1:20 Clip, 24-bit/96kHz.wav (39.4Mb) DVD-A
http://armadillomusicproductions.com...FireClip24bit9
6kHz.wav
http://tinyurl.com/k3bvsjq

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com