Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default RCA cable question

"David Nebenzahl" wrote ...
Arny Krueger spake thus:
"Bikedrd" wrote
Is it possible to run both hots using the speaker wire
and use the home electrical system for ground?

Possibly, if you are talking about using the safety ground of your house
wiring as your ground. If you're talking about using neutral, forget it.
Unsafe!

BZZZZZT! Wrong!

While using the power line's neutral would be suicidal, even using the
so-called "ground" conductor would be flirting with suicide, or at least
very bad results. The chance that the "ground" conductor is actually at 0
volts is vanishingly small.

The rule to follow here is don't mix signal and power circuits, ever, at
all.
- a Usenet "apology"

I don't think Mr. Krueger thought about all the ramifications of his advice.
In this case Mr. Nebenzahl's sig line was right on! :-)