Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anders Svinndal Anders Svinndal is offline

Default Good Idea/Bad Idea - Normalizing?

"Mike Rivers" skrev i melding
jtougas wrote:

There is, however, some validity to not normalizing to full scale (0 dBFS)
on general principles. It has to do with the characteristics of the
player. Many (in fact most) D/A converters increase their distortion in
the last 1 dB or so before full scale. However, this is still a pretty
small amount of distortion. If you're inexperienced enough so that you
feel that it's necessary to normalize to get the playback level up to the
point where it won't make the listener want to turn it up, there are
probably worse problems with your recordings.

As others have mentioned I can't see any reason to normalize individual
tracks in a multi-track project. However; if the final mix has a peak-level
some dB below 0 dBFS I can't see any reason not to normalize it. Most of us
will record and mix in 24 bit which have more headroom then the final 16 bit
CD, so normalizing the mix before dithering to 16 bit will make better use
of the dynamic range on the final CD.

Most people will normalize to 0 dBFS, but as Mike says there might be a good
idea to stop at -1 dBFS (or maybe even -3) as normalizing to 0 might give a
small amount of distortion in the CD-players DA-converter. For those
interrested, you can read more about this in this paper:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/ni...0_0dbfs_le.pdf