Buster Mudd wrote:
wrote:

First of all, it is obvious to me that purposeful hunting exists as an
activity separate from spontaneous noticing (good terminology!).

Right...*when* it is obvious to you that you are conciously doing one
or the other activity, then it seems easy to confidently state which
one you are doing. But that doesn't mean you are acurately reporting
your concious state, only that you are reporting your perception of
your concious state to the best of your abilities. IOW, you might
*think* you are in Spontaneous Noticing mode, but you may be deluding
yourself.

Secondly, I have no problem with an awareness of which activity I'm
engaged in, and making an observation does not overwrite this
awareness.

That's what you think. However, there is a substantial body of
literature in the fields of cognitive science and neuropsychology that
suggest A) that what we think is going on in our brain is not the same
as what is going on in our brain; and B) that concious discriminations
do indeed overwrite the perceptions which prompted these
discriminations; the determination "I have perceived this" takes
precedence over whatever stimuli you were (temporarily)
perceiving...and often they are not the same!

All this is to say we don't know exactly what we were doing, and I
agree. That makes it even harder to control for these factors in a
blind test. I think that what you are doing with your awareness affects
what you hear, so this factor should be controlled, but no one has ever
described a test to me in which it is.

Mike