Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Mac adapters

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 04:30:19 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
/Odm wrote:

(The analog (headphones) outputs were unacceptably noisy.
Not ground loops, per se, but more like contaminated grounds.)

Took the front panel HP outs from a Mac the other night to run
some down & dirty, quick audio from a short DVD presentation
to the mixer line inputs.... couldn't hear anything that was nasty,
but I had a constant -6dB of _something_ hanging on the inputs
as long as the plug was in the Mac jack.

Sounds a lot like my experience. I can't say fersure-fersure
it wasn't a ground-loop issue in this case, but everything
was Edison'd to a local power strip and otherwise isolated
from the cruel world outside.

And, an optical cable from the headphone output to (my, loaned)
D/A converter, and then on to the analog world, solved the
problem.

Took me quite a while to believe it, but I'm dogmatic too
often. Rruff!

I'm certainly open for suggestions, if for no other reason than
to get my D/A converter back! Arf.

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck