John O

Wow, great stuff. A couple comments...

2. The resolution makes a difference. This is a little surprising
since it's still the same area that's being lit up. Apparently
making the beam scan faster (even though it's the same strength?)
makes a difference.

Higher resolutions push the sweep circuits much harder, since there's so
much more data to put on the screen in the same raster scan. I bet the
refresh rate would have a major impact on power consumption as well.

3. This monitor's power-saving support SUCKS.

Mid-90's was the early days of "Energy Star," and it took a few years before
the manufacturers worked out the bugs.

Thanks again, this was very interesting. You clearly confirmed my guess that
monitor power savings is just as important as computer power modes. Where
did you get this wattmeter? I want one. :-)

-John O