Rob Reedijk

Default Amplifier question - very basic

Scott Dorsey wrote:
rothman wrote:
Thank you Scott...I was worried about starting a fire.

I want to get more power to two 12" speakers with an 8 Ohm load. My amps put
out best at 4 Ohms. It's for rehearsal and the 200 watts stereo from a 4 Ohm
amp to 8 Ohm speakers is not loud enough to do vocals over all our noise.

So use parallel?

No, you cannot parallel modern amps, as I said.

You can bridge them, if the amplifiers are capable of bridging. That gives
you considerably more power.

To the original poster: I think what Scott is suggesting is that you can
take your 2 amps, which are probably stereo, run each one in bridged mode,
each one driving a single speaker. But only if the amps are capable of
being bridged.

Bridging a stereo amp renders it as a mono amp but driving about twice
as much power. But in can only be done on certain amps. Some amps
provide a bridge switch on them, and then you use the two red outputs
to drive one speaker.

Rob R.