Steven Sullivan

Default Another question on SACD player

Lawrence Leung wrote:
I have another question regarding SACD player.

I am thinking of buying the new Music Hall Maverick SACD player. It comes
with a coaxial output, and I would like to hook it up with the Music Hall
Mambo integrated amp. which also has a coaxial input.

My question is: "can I do that?" Will the Mambo's 24/96 upsampling system
handle the DAC? Or do I need an extra DAC to hook up the Maverick with the
Mambo, if I want to use its coaxial output?

If you use a digital output, presumably the 'raw' signal will be sent to the
Mambo, bypassing the Mambo's DAC and its upsampling. I'd guess the amp's
DAC will do all the work.

OF course, for SACD sources, this won't work, because they will have to be passed
via analog, for this combination of components. It might be that the amp
would re-digitize and 'upsample' the analog input, then reconvert it
to analog, which I'd think would be rather pointless but may well be the sort
of thing that true believers insist makes a difference.

Or the whole thing is a total
waste of money and time, no difference than I just hook them up using the
normal interconnect RCA?

Try both and decide which sounds better. But also realize , it could
just be wishful thinking.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director