Frank Stearns

Default Doing the Splits

I need to cobble together a single-channel two-way mic splitter -- one
output "flow through" and the other transformer isolated.

I've got an ancient Triad line-to-line audio transformer: each side has
600 ohms with taps for 250 and 50 ohms. (Model number is rubbed off, but
it's a metal can, 3/8" stud mount, roughly the size of a shot glass with
leads coming out through the stud,)

This old beast actually looks pretty good on the 'scope; respectable
square wave performance once I put a 220 ohm resistor across the output
(otherwise rang like a church bell).

The flow-through is for recording; the iso-out is for PA.

A few questions to The Wisdom:

1. I figured on using the 250 ohm taps on both sides. For the transformer
output side, should I continue with that 220 ohm resister across the
output? (I assume "yes" given most modern preamps.)

2. On the input side to the transformer, should I "bridge" the
flow-through mic line with some resistive value, or just make a hard-wired
"Y"? (The flow-through line will be carrying phantom power.)

3. I'm assuming I should float the 50 ohm legs on both sides of the
transformer... or should I terminate them in some way?

Thanks in advance,

Frank