Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default Headphones to try out under $200?

geoff wrote:

On 1/01/2018 3:14 AM, Adrian Tuddenham wrote:

Very often people under pressure to get a job done don't stop to
question the details of the tools thay are using. They may know that a
certain type of headphone has a good or bad reputation or they find for
themselves that one type sounds poor on cymbals but better on vocals,
for instance, but they don't have the time or inclination to make
laboratory-type measurements to find out exactly why it sounds like
that.

You are talking about one of the major studio headphone models used for
decades(?) by people who do know about these things ....

I realise that, which is why it was such a surprise to hear an almost
complete dip-out in the H.F and why I decided to make up a rough testing
rig to check that I wasn't imagining it. It's not my imagination or one
faulty earpiece - but I can't say whether it applies to a lot of the
production run or just to a few, of which mine happens to be one.

Perhaps some of the other people who own early K-240s would like to do a
slow sweep and let us know if they can also hear this dip; it is very
deep, although quite sharp and narrow. You don't need elaborate test
equipment, it is perfectly obvious by ear if you sweep slowly enough.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk