Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default "Sound City" movie

On 28/02/2017 1:12 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 2/27/2017 4:34 AM, Trevor wrote:

Why anyone would continue to equate MP3 with 128kbs (or less) files
these days is beyond me.

Because that's what most people listen to, or worse.

Easy to say, harder to prove. 5 or 10 years ago I would have readily
agreed, however I don't know anybody who encodes at 128kbs any more, and
most download sites are at least 256kbs now. FAR better than the
cassettes they once listened to, and better than the majority of vinyl.
(Ignoring the completely separate issue of mastering decisions of course.)

You aren't "most
people," so you don't have anything to complain about. But the
proverbial "most people" are still downloading MP3 or streaming, and, in
fact, "most people" aren't complaining about the sound quality of what
they're hearing. Those who are concerned with sound know, or can learn,
what they can do to improve it. But most are satisfied with the sound
and love the convenience.

Exactly.

Trevor.