Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default "Sound City" movie

wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote: "
Because that's what most people listen to, or worse. You aren't "most
people," so you don't have anything to complain about. But the
proverbial "most people" are still downloading MP3 or streaming, and, in
fact, "most people" aren't complaining about the sound quality of what
they're hearing. Those who are concerned with sound know, or can learn,
what they can do to improve it. But most are satisfied with the sound
and love the convenience. "

I still maintain that processing done in mastering
has a far more audible effect on a piece than
encoding it to a lossy format 1/3rd to 1/5th of the
original file size.

It depends a lot on the record. As an engineer, though, I can often do
something about the mastering but I can't do anything about the MP3 encoding.

And what's worse is that sometimes the two interact, which is why the whole
idea of mastering specifically for MP3 release is a very good one.