Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Deliberately introducing clipping?

writes:

I've always been under the impression that avoiding clipping is a basic ten=
et of digital audio. Looking at this mastering tutorial, if I understand wh=
at this guy is saying, he deliberately introduces a limited amount of clipp=
ing - 2:30 "I wanted to get a little bit of clipping on the A to D".

It appears to be part of the loudness wars BS... "I want to get it just a little
louder before I even start mastering." But a small bit of credit: "but not more than
10-15 samples of clipping as more that and it's audible."

Maybe, maybe not. In pop music, probably doesn't matter. In acoustic/classical music
15 samples of clipping could be very audible, and not in a flattering way.

Brassplyer is right, it's generally not a good idea to introduce digital clipping
(or analog clipping, for that matter). But that's where a big chunk of the industry
has been for quite a while now -- anything to get it just a little louder than the
next guy's.

To me, it's a sad commentary on the utter lack of genuine aesthetic; a prime example
of what I call "manufactured music." Everything, absolutely everything, is slapping
you in the face, relentlessly, with "pre-clipping" and serial compression to make
sure that happens. The tune becomes another "big and loud" cliche; the man has done
his job well.

I still watch how some younger people interact with "music" (more like modulated
white noise in the background to plug any holes of contemplative silence in their
lives). "Loud" in this context is all they've known. They've been so horribly
short-changed.

Frank
Mobile Audio