Posted to rec.audio.tubes
dre7 dre7 is offline

Default what tube tester for a new guy?

I'd argue the only reason any hobbyist would need a tester for is to make
sure the tube has no shorts and reasonable emissions before testing it in
circuit. Likewise, "matching" is best done in circuit. I just went through
a couple of dozen 6B4Gs, rating them on a relative scale on my Jackson 648
and 658, then when I did measurements in circuit, simply ballparked until I
had a match. For eg, if one tube was pulling a few more ma than the other, I
took that tube out and put one in that read a little lower in my screening.

You should have a tester that has support of some sort. A couple of nice
ones would be:

TV-7
Heathkit TT-1

because they have extensive documentation and repair help available online.
I'm partial to the Jackson 648 in later versions, and there exists (or did)
an online calibration tutorial for it.

I've always lusted after the Triplett 3444, but the cost never justified it
for me.

Good luck!

Andrew

Cipher wrote in message
m...
My inlaws are asking me what I want for christmas...and I think a tester

is
a good idea. what makes, models, ebay auction numbers do yall reccomend?

want reliablity, something widely used and documented and timeless...

--
Ray
luxaeternaaudio AT gmail DOT com