Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,rec.audio.tech
Ethan Winer Ethan Winer is offline

Default acoustics

Bob,

If one reflector was all it took to get 100% reciprocal operation, then
they wouldn't use two reflectors.

I don't think that follows. With only one reflector, the gain would be
insufficient for EITHER person to hear the other. Again, I'm not arguing too
strongly because I don't really know for sure. But so far I can't see why
it's not reciprocal.

The guy without a reflector can aim his beam at the distant reflector,
which might have an area of (say) 10 square feet, and anywhere he aims
within that area the beam will be captured and received more-or-less 100%
at the focal point.

Yes, but a person talking is not a beam.

--Ethan