Uncle Russ

Maybe it read as though I was comparing inexpensive mics, such as some of
the early Chinese mics, to cream of the crop stuff. What I should have
written was "carefully selected very good mics" (such as a KSM44 or any
other mic you prefer in that category and price range) whose price can be a
third or less of their more expensive counterparts. Would that make the
statement any more palatable?

Unc

WESTLAKE PUBLISHING COMPANY
www.finescalerr.com
WESTLAKE RECORDS
www.westlakerecords.com

"DeserTBoB" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:52:49 -0800, "Uncle Russ"
wrote:

And maybe it helps to show that some of us may overstate the importance of
very expensive or "state of the art" mics. The difference between a good
mic
and a better (or different) one may be quite minor, often negligible after
mixing and mastering. snip

The mic is THE weak chain in the system. Next weakest is the mic pre.
Everything else is gravy, which is why people can turn out pretty good
recordings on unbalanced consumer grade crap, as long as it's fed with
a good mic. Skimping on a mic while buying/collecting obscenely
expensive digital gear is like buying a new Ford Cobra and ordering it
with retreads.

dB