Chad Wahls

"robert casey" wrote in message
k.net...

I am going to replace the selinium rectifier with silicon, do I need to
put a dropping resistor in to compensate for the efficiency of the
silicon or should I be fine with a direct replacement? BTW this one has
bias and balance for each pair of 7591's much like the early 299D, seems
I have a weird one!

Is this the bias rectifier only? As there is an adjustment pot,
the silicon diode giving you more voltage doesn't much matter
as the pot would be readjusted anyway. Higher negative bias
voltage will reduce quiescent current thru the tubes anyway,
so the danger is minimal if you didn't readjust.

Done, did it last night, and the results came out good. No dropping resistor
needed. Should be done with the rebuild tonight, it is coming along quite
nicely and I can't wait to hear it.

This 299C is not even close to the schematics in the power supply arena, I
feel I have a real oddball. Makes it more fun to rebuild though.

Thanks for your help
Chad