Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default 0dBFS+ Levels in Digital Mastering

On 14/10/2015 7:49 AM, geoff wrote:
On 13/10/2015 8:42 p.m., Trevor wrote:

Bull****!! A limiter by it's very nature will produce CLIPPING when it
exceeds it's knee and reaches it's maximum level. That's the whole
point of the device after all. One may choose to use it so it never
exceeds the knee (and hard limiting may not even have a knee!) but IF
it does exceed absolute maximum, then CLIPPING will occur! That you
choose to believe it is somehow not clipping just because YOU prefer
to call it limiting only shows you ignorance!!!

Bull**** you ! A crude limiter might - a sophisticated limiter will
produce a 'knee' region that should not resemble clipping if you look
closer.

As I have been saying ALL along, BUT will still clip past the knee.
Do you NOT get this? Or didn't bother to read what you are replying to?

Glad my ignorance keeps such good company.

Yes, you are in fine company here. Judging by others posts many have a
problem with both the technicalities AND reading comprehension! :-(

Yep, but limiting is NOT necessarily the same as compression. You and
many others still seem to be totally confused about that. And of
course one can drive a compressor into clipping as well!
Clipping is clipping no matter how it is achieved. Arguing that it is
not is simply TOTAL BS!

Limiting should be a process closer to extreme compression that clipping.

And it IS, until the maximum level is reached, at which point it clips,
How many times do I have to say the same thing?

Trevor.