Clyde Slick

"Dodge McRodgered" wrote in message
"George M. Middius" emitted :

From discussions I've had with Middle Easterner's, the impression I
get is that such people are not nearly so attracted to (or aware of)
the benefits of democracy.. particularly if it's forced on them from
outside. A proportion seem to genuinely have difficulty in
comprehending the advantages of civil liberties and human rights,
presumably because it's such a foreign concept. An adult student I
know from Libya claims that in his country it's mainly the younger
generation who crave democracy, but he says that even they have
serious reservations. He spoke of a distaste for hedonism, gluttony
and avarice, which are apparently self evident in certain parts of the
world.

I hope Sacky sees this. We all know your correspondent is confusing
democracy with a free-market economy.

Nope - he was definitely referring to the democratic Western world.

Democracy has to do with how a society governs itself. Hedonism
and decadence are different issues, not related to political
organization.