Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Replacement Board for Event Electronics Tuned Reference MonitorTR-5?

On 10/12/2018 7:43 PM, geoff wrote:
Hey Mike - what are your KEFs ?

103.2

I've been using them for more than 30 years, long before anyone invented
the term "reference monitor." They were recommended to me by a couple of
folks in town who recorded a lot of classical music and jazz from the
period (1980s). That was about the time that manufacturers came out with
products for the home/project studio, and most of the small studio
monitors on the market at the time were more rock-oriented.

KEF was kind of a new name over here, and the only place you could find
them were the high end HiFi shops of the day. I was looking at some
Fostex speakers which I arranged to borrow for a couple of days, took
them to a HiFi shop that sold KEF, and compared them side-by-side with
some recordings of mine and some commercial recordings of the same sort
of music that I was recording. There were things that I liked about each
one, but decided on the KEF because it made rock music sound less hard,
and the Fostex made string band music sound too bright and pushy.