Mike Rivers

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

In article writes:

Actually I was under the impresion that Jay was on the other side of the
fence--that he was saying that 24 bit was really no better than 16 bit for any
sort of real world audio.

It depends on which real world you're operating in. If you're talking
about reproduction in the car of the typical consumer, yes. If you're
talking about reproduction in the home listening room of an
audiophile, then maybe.

However, to the recording engineer, there are two important factors
that make 24-bit resolution better whether you can hear it immediately
or not.

First, there's the possibility of recoving that higher resolution in
the future - the audiophile vs. the car bomber taken to the archival
stage.

Second, when doing any processing of the signal, even something as
simple as a level change, it's better to retain higher resolution as
far into the process as possible so that you don't introduce artifacts
caused by truncation.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )