Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

Default A Theory About Scott

In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

On Oct 9, 8:07*pm, Jenn wrote:

It all depends on the literature, of course. *Conductors, like all
performers, have greater and lesser strengths. *But taken as a whole
body of work:

I understand that, that consideration was the cause for separation
into these groups

Reiner
HVK
Leinsdorf
Klemperer
Dorati

Reiner
HVK
Leinsdorf
Dorati
Klemperer

the second batch is Munch, PAray, Monteux, Liebowitz,
Ansermet, *Fiedler, Goosens and Bernstein.

Bernstein
Ansermet
Munch
Monteux
Liebowitz
Monteux
Paray
Goosens
Fiedler

Ansermet
Monteux
Liebowitz
Munch
Paray
Fiedler
Bernstein
'Goosens

How about some POP conducters?
Fenell (hehehe), Willams and Fiedler.
(Warning!!!!! Wlliams is alive!)

Fiedler
Fennell
Williams

Yes
Fiedler
'Fennel
Williams

Fred was so much more than a pops conductor, though.

*MUCH more
"serious" literature done than either of the others, especially
Williams. *

My opinion was that Fiedler was more than a pops conductor, also.

Yes he was, especially as a youngster. But virtually all of his
recording output is with the Pops.

Factoid: *Williams won the Boston Pops job after Fiedler by a
5-4 vote of the Board. *The runner up? *Fred Fennell. *Statements of the
Board members who voted against Fred made it clear that the reasons were
age (Fred was 70) and Williams' fame for the Star Wars score. *Williams
really learned to conduct on the job, but he ended up being fairly good. *
Fred conducted the BP yearly from 1966 until his death.

the main difference is your extremely high opinion of Bernstein'
vs my much lower opinion of him
I admire his courage in interpreting things
differently, but he missed the boat so many times,
Every so often he came up with a gem, for me
it is his Shostakovich 5th sym

I agree about Shosty 5, and would add his Tchaikovsky 4, all of his
Mahler, most of his Haydn Symphonies, his Copland, his Bernstein, and
his Ives. My opinion on LB is based less on his recordings (so many of
which were ruined by John McClure), but on his vast TV and video work
that I've watched so carefully, and the several times that I heard him
live. They broke the mold with him, for sure.