Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Default A Theory About Scott

On Oct 9, 3:52*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,
*Clyde Slick wrote:

I gave it high marks, and I thought it was LJ
at the time, and I did saay that I liked it, even thinking'it was LJ.
. I liked it better than the real LJ, though over all
I liked LJ, too. I just think a wonderfule performance at times was
marred by
some superficial embellishments. the core playing was great, i
just didn't appreciate some of the bells an whistles that sometimes
and somewhat
detracted form the song.

I would be interested in what parts you liked better played by the
intermediate level player, referenced by clock time.

In reference to the LJ performance, most of
the parts i was least favorable towards were 1/2
to 3/4 of the way through it. THe first half
was almost flawless and the last 1/4 was.

Was the part that you didn't like the piano solo in the Beatles
recording?

Yes, that is true, it seemed to be made to sound like a Hasrpsichord,
i guess it was a fashion setter back in the early/pre hippy days,
but i find it annoying, more annoying than LJ's treatment of that
part.
maybe sgtripping that part bare and slowing it abit might have worked
better.

I understand this other person playing his
arrangmemt, although he really was quite good,
was not as technically accomplished as LJ, but the
performance was very musical and and I enjoyed it very much.
that is waht matters to me. I think that LJ gets distracted by showing
off
his techniques and and loses sight of the essence of the song.

What is your definition of "musical"?

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck, and not
musical.
It is a subjective judgement, don't become like Arny over this

I really don't know what he was trying to do with Layla.
I remember at the time, I was not alone here in
criticising his whole approach to that song.But in my opinion
he butchered the sone, no matter how accomplished a
player he is.

i als remeber that once you posted a link to a short
piece, or part of a piece you conducted.
I might have been recorded at some type of
Fennell appreciation event.

Yes, it was a 7 min Wagner work, Eastman Wind Ensemble, Carnegie Hall.

I didn't attack your conducting
Nothing worng jumped out at me

I didn't comment negatively on your comments, did I?

you would not have any reasons to.

excuse me, but i speak my mind. and it is about
'the music, not you or LJ, or any of the other
performers you linked to.

As it should be.

BTW, not be facetious, I know you don't speak
ill of the living, but how about the dead?
you can rank some dead condutors for me,

Sure, who do you have in mind?

Two separate batches
The first batch is VonKarajan, Reiner, KLemperer, Leinsdorf, and
Dorati.

the second batch is Munch, PAray, Monteux, Liebowitz,
Ansermet, Fiedler, Goosens and Bernstein.

How about some POP conducters?
Fenell (hehehe), Willams and Fiedler.
(Warning!!!!! Wlliams is alive!)