Posted to rec.audio.tech
JANA JANA is offline

Default Question: Impedance matching: adapter for onnecting 8 ohm headphones to modern MP3 player

Your best and cheapest and easiest option is to buy a good quality 30 ohm or
greater impedance headphones.

If you start messing with transformers, and or amplifier circuits, then you
start getting in to having to carry around more equipment, and also
batteries to run the add-ons. This is not practical. Also, adding
amplification, or devices will start to degrade the sound quality, unless
you spend a fair amount, or you spend a lot of time to design and test what
you build.

--

JANA
_____

"Good Music" wrote in message
Question: Impedance matching:

How can I make an adapter to allow connection of old 8 ohm headphones to a
modern personal audio source (MP3 player, etc) expecting the newer kind of
30-40 ohms or so (?) headphones?

Via google, I saw mention of using audio transformers for other impedance
matching applications: Are there such audio transformers that I could use
one for each headphone channel?

Or if that's not sufficient, where might I find plans for whatever kind of
battery-powered IC circuit I may need to build to perform this function?

(Replacing the original 8-ohm drivers in the headphones is not an option for
this application.)

Thanks in advance,
- Goodmusic