Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Is it normal for US socket strips to contain MOVs ?
Over here it isn't. You have to pay more for that type.

Most of the cheap ones contain an MOV so that it can carry the label
"Surge suppressor" on the package. That doesn't make them cost any
more (the part is worth about a nickel) but it makes them sound like
they're better than the ones that don't say "Surge suppressor."

Btw - just bought 2 UK 4 way strips at the local supermarket for a total
of £1.75 - USD ~ 3.20.

The typical supermarket outlet strip over here has six outlets, a
rocker switch, and a surge suppressor, and costs under $5. Many of
them are in a plastic case. The difference between a cheap one and an
expensive one (as well as perhaps more robust surge suppression) is
generally in the retention capability of the sockets. If you're going
to plug six things into it and leave the plugs in for ten years, the
cheap ones are fine. If you'll be packing it up after every remote
recording gig, you'd best invest in one with a better grade of
sockets.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )