Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Newbie Qs on Monitoring Overdubs and Choice of Audio Interface

On 7/5/19 9:30 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/5/2019 11:32 AM, Tobiah wrote:
I differ on this point.Â* I had a 1402 in front of my audio interface
for years.Â* When I finally realized how to use the monitor mix in
software I realized that the mixer was entirely superfluous.Â* Some
can't let go of the feel of faders, I get it, but that's really all
a dedicated mixer has to offer given the software that comes with
a well designed interface.

There are two things here to consider. One is the workflow - not having to go to a computer screen whenever you need to adjust a mix. That's something that some people just find to be easier than fooling with a computer when you're trying to make music.

All I ever adjusted with the mixer was the input gain, and that's
available to me on the front of my interface in knob form.

The other is latency, and whether this is a problem, and how big of a problem, depends on what you're recording and how up-to-date your hardware and software is. I won't repeat what I wrote in an other post here other to say that sometimes it's no problem at all, other times it can be a big problem, and it's a problem that's completely solved by an outboard analog mixer.

I consider the direct monitor feature of my interface
to be equivalent to using a mixer.