Scott Dorsey

Default Neumann KM84

ScotFraser wrote:
The KM84 was NOT replaced by the KM184. It was replaced by the KM140, which is
not as boosted in the high end as the 184. The 140 was considered an upgrade
because it was quieter, higher output, has a more extended low range, & more
clarity in the highs. They thought this was an improvement. I have a bunch of
both 84s & 140s. Different mics for different jobs as I see it.

Neumann claims that the KM140 and KM184 are basically parallel models, in
that they have the same electronics and the same capsules. They do sound
very different to my ears, but Neumann says they aren't supposed to.