Posted to rec.audio.tubes
bigwig bigwig is offline

Default 5B 255M amplifier?

On Jul 13, 3:51*pm, flipper wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 06:14:42 -0700 (PDT), bigwig

wrote:
On Jul 12, 11:28*pm, flipper wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 07:02:27 -0700 (PDT), bigwig

wrote:
Hello,
*Im new to the group. Has anyone built an amp. with or played with 5B
255M?. I have a load of these valves and would like to put them to
use. The curves seem the same as the 807/6L6 types. I would like to
know if anyone has had any experience with them before I go and build
something. I was thinking PPP class AB1 ultralinear.
*Thanks Matt.

Well, Brimar said it's electrically similar to the 807.

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f.../5/5B-254M.pdf

The STC data sheet is more comprehensive

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...0/5/5B254G.pdf
*(612k)

RCA 807 for comparison.

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f.../084/8/807.pdf
(1.7Meg)

Ok great thanks guys,
*I have a few 7N7s so I think I will build something along the lines
of a Williamson. Should look nice with all Loktal valves. PPP output
stage, 3.3K output transformer.
Thanks for your help with the datasheets.
* * * * * * * * Matt.

You're welcome.

I'm building a 'midget' Williamson (6 Watts from 13FD7s) and Patrick
Turner had an excellent suggestion. Long tail pair the post phase
splitter triodes.

If you use spice to simulate it won't look like that does much, unless
you simulate tube mismatch where it makes a world of difference.- Hide quoted text -

Sounds good,
I need to wind my transformers next weekend(if the wire turns up).
These will be the first OPTs I have wound and my first large valve
project. I built a small EL84 based amp a few years ago. It sounded
very good to my tone deaf ears. I have built numerous MOSFET amps,
some with stupidly good specs. but they all sound a bit harsh to me.
So I need a reasonably sized valve amp, hence this project. Perhaps we
could trade notes as we go.
Matt.