Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default What type of capacitor should I use?

In article ,
says...

This is like assuming your tires are safe, even though you have
to put air in them every time you wish to drive your vehicle.

Speaking of unsafe tires, they do seem to have a limiated lifetime even
if not used very much. Friend jsut went through that with a tire
company. He had a tire that is starting to seperate. He talked with
the tire maker. While the tire had plenty of thread and mileage let on
it, it was over 7 years old. The company told him that after abut 5 to
6 years many tires will just go bad. In a way I wish that I had been
aware of that a year or two ago. I am retired and do not drive that
much and have a car and truck. I put some tires on them that was rated
very high in the milage thinking I would not have to worry about tires
for a long time, but seems that they may age out with over half the
thread left on them.

Speaking of China. They make some items that seem to be as good as
any,and they make a lot of junk. I have several pieces of equipmant
from China that seems to be as good as any. Friend ordered some
transistors and all of them were bad junk that did not even test on a
transistor tester.

As many power tubes are not made in the US anymore a company contractes
with a China company to make some. They seem to hold up very well.