Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Foxs Mercantile Foxs Mercantile is offline

Default What type of capacitor should I use?

On 3/10/2017 4:04 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 20:17:16 -0600, Foxs Mercantile wrote:
Or are you just being stubborn?

No, not being stubborn , I just dont want caps made in China.
Not much of anything made in China is a quality item.
That seller has good prices and a fair selection, but I still
don't want China caps, which will likely contain duds, and
I'll end up replacing all of them in 5 years or less, again.

Ok, how about willfully ignorant or xenophobic.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if my radio or (whatever) was designed
for caps made with foil, I'd prefer to use caps with foil, and
whatever plastics they used to replace the paper. In other
words, I want caps that most closely mimic the original caps,
except without the paper.

Which shows a complete and total misunderstanding of what
capacitors are.

Those paper caps may be crap now, but considering many of them
lasted 50 years, they were not all crap, to last that long.

Many? Of the billions that were produced between 1935 and 1965
Almost all of them have failed. The few that "might still be
good" are statistically zero.

I doubt any China made caps will last even close to 50 years.
I may be wrong, but based on nearly all China products, I
doubt any of them will last 5 years.
Everything made in China is just throw away short lived junk.
Made to fail one day after their warranty expires.

More willful ignorance on display.

But rather that toss out my opinion, which is based on my
overall feelings about China products, you tell me how these
caps have worked for you. (assuming they are what you have
used).

There's that magic word "feelings" again. Based on nothing.

What percentage of them have been duds? If you have tested
them, how accurate are they? Have you had any fail? How long
have you used them?

I have been using them since 1994 when I got back into vintage
radios and test equipment after retiring. 23 years now. I have
never had a failure of any of the yellow plastic capacitors.

Will they really handle the max voltage they are rated as?
How do they perform under heat and other extremes?

Yes and flawlessly.

Did yourCollins work as designed, or did you have to re-align
it or do any modifications because the caps are not the "foil"
type, and thus are not what the circuit was made to use?

Other than some expected drift due to aging components little or
no alignment, other than "touch up" was required. This was done
to make the radio "work as specified" not just "it works."

You still completely misunderstand how capacitors work.

I just bought an old Sencor Substitution box.
I took a modern VOM with capacitor tester, and found all the
paper/wax caps in that box are still very accurate.

That is NOT a comprehensive test. It says nothing about leakage
or the probability of failure with applied voltage.

But I see no reason to change those small caps (.05 .001, etc).
Not for the brief times they are used. and they are all very
accurate in their values.

More willful ignorance to justify your position.

This is like assuming your tires are safe, even though you have
to put air in them every time you wish to drive your vehicle.

If you'll pardon the pun, to recap, I've been doing this for 23
years as a source of income. I haven't had ANY radios come back
due to failures of the "cheap Chinese crap" capacitors as you
insist on calling them.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi