Richard Kuschel

"nmm" wrote in message

The major pain in building Edac/ Elco connectors is getting all the
cables into the shell when you are done. You can use 18 AWG teflon tube
to cover the solder on pins. The teflon will work good for insulation
as well as a bit of strain relief. Some people use heat shrink, or
hellerman sleaves, but that's more crap to squeeze into the shell.

That's why I chose to spend the money on the crimp tool, buy crimp pins
and dump the whole soldering scenario.

DM

I also bought the crimp tool and extraction tool. I generally use a hemostat
for insertion, but I have that tool also.

Much faster than soldering.

It took a while to establish a method of making the leads the correct length
for the proper fitting into the block, but that wasn't too bad.

I use heat shrink on the ground leads and over the end of the strip point on
the cable.

I've been using the Horizon Studio series snake cable because it is more
flexible and smaller diameter, plus the individual pairs are numbered.

Richard H. Kuschel