Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Default Output classes A and AB

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 06:00:25 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Andre Jute wrote:

In the halflight dreamworld inhabited by Dougles Zero-sound, Poopie
Stevenson and Worthless Wiecky, SE amps would be impossible, Class A1
amps would be impossible, and all other classes would produce zero
music -- in fact all other classes would produce 100 per cent pure
noise by being operated at all sonic peaks at either max current and
zero voltage or zero current and voltage plate overvoltage. All of
that follows logically from Poopie's absurd redefinition of Class A as
a Class in which "the output device(s)never cease conducting *under
any signal condition*," (emphasis added). It's ludicrous.

It's actually the only accurate definition.

Agreed.

Any amp can be driven out of class by excessive signal voltage.

Overdriving to cut-off is merely gross abuse and a complete red herring /
irrelevance.

Agreed. Jute seems to be addicted to excluded-middle arguments. Kick out
those and the straw men, and he's hardly have anything to say. ;-)

Can you overdrive a class A amp to cutoff? In my experience what
happens when you overdrive a class A amp is that one device saturates,
and the other sticks with its normal bias condition. There is no
circumstance in which I have ever managed to put a class A amplifier
output device into cutoff.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com