Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Output classes A and AB

John:

Please note the interpolations:

On Oct 24, 1:53 pm, John Byrns wrote:

The GM 4-6-8 is not a good analogy because it has 8 cylinders even when
only 4 are operating. The class A vs. class AB amplifier is a different
situation because the only fundamental difference between the two is the
setting of the bias pot. If you ask nicely I might go in to some of the
non essential differences between the two.

Mpffff... of course. But you postulated the series of zeners and so
forth so as to make an as-designed AB into a pure Class A amp. From
that, all else follows. Many things can be done - the question is
whether they should be done to that amp and if done would the results
be better/worse/as-good as if purpose-designed from the ground up.
Otherwise, one is forcing the proverbial square peg into the legendary
round hole.

I wouldn't put Douglas, a.k.a. Multi-grid, on equal terms with Patrick.

Discussing on equal terms - not necessarily on equal terms overall.

Who is "George", I haven't noticed anyone, "discrete individual" or
"sock-puppet", by that name participating in this discussion?

Middius, and not necessarily in this discussion, but certainly part of
the general miasma.

Fly poop on the right, pepper on the left.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA