Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

Default Output classes A and AB

In article .com,
Andre Jute wrote:

Historically, the original purpose of Class AB was to annihilate the
second harmonic which before made up such a very large part of the
THD, while still allowing beam tubes and pentodes to give much larger
power than available before.

Andre, why was Class AB necessary to annihilate the second harmonic,
didn't Push Pull operation already annihilate the second harmonic
irrespective of the class of operation?

The "invention" of Class AB as a hi-
fidelity amp is what spurred part of a Olsen's work on perception;
before it wasn't known that odd harmonics are proportionately much
more disturbing than even harmonics. It seems to me that AB amps with
largish parts of their output in Class A is a relatively modern trend,
possibly related to ever less-sensitive speakers.

I'm not sure I would agree with that, class AB amps were common even in
the days of efficient speakers, I don't see it as "a relatively modern
trend", if anything is a modern trend, I would think it is the return to
"pure" class A amplifiers on the part of many audiophiles.

Regards,

John Byrns