Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

Default Teac 3440 won't play or rewind?

On Sun 2012-Feb-26 21:22, Rick Ruskin writes:
Hi guys I bought a Teac 3440 for $80 today. It looks to be in pretty
good shape looks wise. I knew it needed work.
At any rate the Capstan motor is running. It won,t close the pinch
roller when pushing play and rewind and fast forward does not work.
There is only 1 belt and it works. The reels are direct drive. The old

owner checked the fuses inside and they all tested ok. Any thought? GT

Common problems with machines that have sat idle for too long. The
lubricant for the pinch roller may have solidified. In that case,
it all needs to be cleaned out and replaced. Other possiblities,
bad solenoids, logic circuit gone bad, power supply problem(s).

I was thinking the solenoids. Those machines seem
susceptible to that one iirc. I've owned the 3340 and the
Tascam 34, both same basic design iirc. i had to do the
solenoid in my 34 twice over the years iirc. I cared for
mine and used it quite a bit. IN its last days I was
striping a track with mtc for an Alesis mmt-8 sequencer,
doing vocals and maybe acoustic guitar on the other three
tracks.
Had 4 channels of dbx nr decode/encode in half a rack space
along with it.

Regards,
Richard