Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Compression Unit for Recording Vocals

Richard Webb wrote:

The value of commitment is not much understood these days, and that
comes down to people not having a clear target in their mind's ear.

OF course it does, because we can just record by the
principle of "if you throw enough **** at a wall some's
gonna stick."

IMO a clear vision of the intended sonic perspective is required when
setting up the mics, that is where committing starts. What I don't like to
to is to commit to a mix when doing live recordings, I want to be able to
postpone the mix to @home because there just is no way to mix well,
time-offset adjustment included, on headphones in the room the music is
performed in and it gets only marginally possible via loudspeakers in the
adjoining room if available.

INstead of going in with that view of what
you want. Experimentation and exploration can be great
tools,

My opinion: that is the mic setup phase, it is there the sound is defined.
And that is also why it must be possibble to come close to the intended
result in the monitor mix, it has to sound "about right" and it has to be
mixable, preferably almost by itself. There's something wrong with the
recorded audio if the mix is difficult and ends up like a rescue-effort.

Richard

Kind regards

Peter Larsen