Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Compression Unit for Recording Vocals

Peter Larsen wrote:
adam79 wrote:

I always thought that tracking vocals with compression was common
practice. Are you saying that it's the opposite with digital
recordings?

You need to define the problem you need to solve. Compressing when tracking
can save you a processing step and the hardware compressor may be just
right. Your bet, if you win you save a digital processing step, if you loose
you re-record.

Precisely.

In the analogue world people often would track with compression because the
tracking machine had limited dynamic range; compression let you bring the
levels up a little higher over the noise floor. These days we don't have
to worry so much about it.

Often with jazz performers I don't compress the vocal at all, just ride the
faders.