Jenn

In article .com,
"Ayn Marx" wrote:

Sander deWaal wrote:
I can't speak for mr. Middius, but I don't sneer at people's choices.

I know several gifted musicians who are extremely happy with a boombox
or some such device.
All my efforts to try and "educate" them that they could get better
sound for just a little bit more, were utterly futile.

But what I wan't to know is how these 'musicians' manage to tune their
instruments and worse still, how do they choose them in the first
place?
A tone deaf musician who can't tell a Steinway from an upright out of
tune pub piano?
Something doesn't gell with this 'I'm happy with my ghetto blaster'
theory.

This is an interesting topic. It's true that the majority of good
musicians have crappy home audio systems, at about the same rate, it
seems, as the rest of the population. The fact is that most of my
colleagues simply think of home audio as something quite separate from
the music-making part of their lives. "It ALL sounds fake, so why
bother trying to replicate the live experience?" seems to be the common
mind-set. Home audio to them is mostly a background activity, so why
spend hard to find disposable income on anything better? This seems to
be the prevailing attitude.