Steve Holt

Default Small vs. large diaphragm condenser mikes for recording grand piano at home

"Kelly" wrote in message
(Mike Clayton) wrote in message

What type of music? Got a good sounding room and piano? Got good

preamps?

I'll be recording classical music on a 1908 Steinway model O ( 5'10"
). I've replaced the strings and hammers, so the piano sounds good. I
suppose that the room sounds ok, but we may be replacing the carpet
with laminate "hardwood" floors, so I guess that will change
everything. As far as preamps, I was just planning on running the
mikes into my Mackie 1202 mixer and using the preamps in it.

Ouch. Don't use those pres. Get yourself something better. Look on ebay and
try to buy a used Manley dual mic pre or something decent. No sense in
getting a nice piano going into a nice set of mics going into a crappy set
of pres.

Steve Holt
INNER MUSIC
Music Creation & Production