Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
Harry Lavo wrote:
My test is a standard research test, used broadly all over the world in
many
fields.

But never to test for *difference*. It would be an absolutely terrible
test for difference. And just because one researcher used it one time
for that purpose and got the result he (and you) wanted doesn't change
that.

Absolutely it is used to test difference. If it doesn't measure
statistically significant, the difference hypothesis is not supported. Try
telling a drug company it doesn't measure difference from a placebo!

One of its strengths is that it goes beyond difference to get at where and
how and why there is a difference. But only if there is a statistical
difference.

The ABX is an audio-specific test. Moreover, it is used, as the
information Harmon Kardon's current use of it.

Not for difference.

Of course for difference. They are profiling speakers against the profile
of know reference speakers. If there is no statistical difference, any
differences in profile are useless (in a scientific sense). Of course, the
Harmon people may set a lower statistical standard for such testing because
they find even directional information helpful. But that is always a
standard development dilemma.

It is much less
controversial test on the face of it, since it minimizes disruption of
normal listening patterns.

ABX is "controversial" the way evolution is controversial. There is
science, and then there are peole who wish that science were not so.

Once again, name calling, however subtle in nature. I am not anti-science.
I am against bad science parading as good science.

The only thing one might fault it for is
sensitivity, but with this type of test sensitivity is simply a matter of
numbers...need more sensitivity, add more people.

As a test for difference, more numbers wouldn't solve the sensitivity
problem. You're talking about a test that couldn't determine that LP
and CD are sonically different! And you think such a test should be the
gold standard for judging the accuracy of all other difference tests?

Believe me Bob, it tests difference. But it tests subjective musical
impression difference, not sound pressure levels. Can *you* see a
difference?